I was a huge fan of the first season of Stranger Things! I loved the 80s retro vibe, both in terms of the setting and also the show’s homage to classic 80s movies like Stand by Me, E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and more.
What did I think of the second season of Stranger Things?
Check out my Stranger Things 2 Review and 80s Quiz below!
This review and quiz will be spoiler-free for major plot points, character deaths, etc.
What/Who I Loved:
- The boys’ friendship was a central part of the first season and one of my favorite aspects of the show. I loved that this continued in major ways, but also in minor ones, like their group Halloween costume.
- Joyce. I love Joyce and she was even more awesome in this season. She’s the fiercest, most loyal mom ever and should be up for Best TV Mom of All Time. And Steve – he got so much (hilarious) character development. I wasn’t the biggest fan of him in season one, but he did a 180 degree turn for me in the second season.
- I was worried about the new characters, but I loved them all (except Billy, of course). Max, Bob, and Lucas’s hilarious little sister Erica were all fantastic additions. Murray (the conspiracy theorist guy) had me cracking up too.
- I loved the way the show balanced fantastic suspense with hilarious moments and really poignant ones.
What I Didn’t Love As Much
- Nancy. She was so awesome in season one but she felt like more of afterthought in this. Jonathan too. And the love triangle with the two of them and Steve is annoying me.
- Hopper. I loved him less this season. In season one he struck me as sort of a slacker forced into bravery, which I loved. In this season he had one mood: angry. (I’m a parent of teenagers so I get it but …I like old Hopper better.)
- Dustin. I’d been a fan of his too, but he kept doing dumb things in season two (I guess for the sake of the plot, but still.)
- Episode seven. (The trip to Chicago/ Kali and her band of punks.) That was all just so awkward to me. Their hangout looked like a set for an amateur production of Rent and they looked like they were all wearing bad Halloween costumes.
All in all, though I LOVED this season and can’t wait for more. While we’re all waiting, find out how much you remember (or learned from the show) about the 1980s!
What did you think of the show and how did you do on the quiz? Tell me in comments! WARNING – there are a few mild spoilers in there so beware if you haven’t finished the show!